Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Artsy Reader. This week’s topic is Favorite Tropes (a trope is a commonly used theme or plot device). I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve definitely picked up books because they sounded like they would have some of my favorite tropes in them.
- Love triangles – Gotta love some good angst in a book, and having a love triangle is a surefire way to achieve that.
- Star-crossed lovers – Katniss and Peeta anyone? It’s a great trope that rarely gets utilized well.
- Friendship to dating – I’ve read at least fifteen romance books solely on the premise that the main characters are friends who slowly realize that they’re meant to be together. I’m a softie like that.
- Sticking it your boss/ quitting a bad job – I love when characters finally get together the courage to quit their job or tell off their terrible bosses – it’s empowering and fun.
- Breaking out of a toxic relationship – The moment when a character finally realized how toxic the relationship is (whether it’s with a friend or a partner) and they finally decide to do something about it.